by Cordell Martin
1. Spike Lee earned his 28th nomination, expanding his lead as the most nominated person in Black Reel in History.
2. Janelle Monae becomes the first Actress to earn two nominations in the Outstanding Supporting Actress category. Denzel Washington, Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Chiwetel Ejiofor previous achieve this feat in the Outstanding Actor, Actress, and Supporting Actors categories, respectively.
3. Idris Elba is the only actor to receive three nominations in a single category. He is nominated for his voice performances in Finding Dory, The Jungle Book, and Zootopia.
4. In the midst of his 30+ year career in the business, Denzel Washington continues to prove why he’s one of the all-time greats. In addition to receiving 4 nominations this year, Washington also earned his 12th and 13th nomination in the Outstanding Actor, Motion Picture category.
5. The following actors/actresses earned Black Reel Awards nominations for playing an actual person:
Parker Sawyers (President Barack Obama)
Taraji P. Henson (Katherine Johnson)
Ruth Negga (Mildred Loving)
Nate Parker (Nat Turner)
Courtney B. Vance (Johnnie Cochran)
Cuba Gooding Jr. (O.J. Simpson)
Curtis Hamilton (Dr. Dre)
Rhyon Nicole Brown (Michel’le)
Kerry Washington (Anita Hill)
Teyonah Parris (Miki Howard)
Wendell Pierce (Clarence Thomas)
Don Cheadle (Miles Davis)
Janelle Monae (Mary Jackson)
Madina Nwalanga (Phiona Mutesi)
Sterling K. Brown (Chris Darden)
Sophie Okonedo (Queen Margaret)
6. Sharon Jones and August Wilson are the only individuals to receive a posthumous nomination.
7. Ava DuVernay’s 13th becomes the 5th documentary to receive and Outstanding Picture nomination. Standing in the Shadows of Motown, Tupac: Resurrection, Lighting in a Bottle and Fade to Black were all previously nominated.
8. With 9 nominations, The People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story is tied with Lackawanna Blues as the most nominated TV Movie or Limited Series.
9. Viola Davis and John Legend becomes the most nominated individuals in the Outstanding Supporting Actress, Motion Picture and Original Song categories.
10. Moonlight actor’s Alex R. Hibbert, Ashton Sanders, and Trevante Rhodes made Black Reel History as being the only actors to be nominated for the same role. Each earned nominations as the child, teenager and adult version of the main character Chiron “Black” Little.
11. Triple Threats: Don Cheadle and Nate Parker earned acting, directing and writing nominations for Miles Ahead! and The Birth of the Nation, respectively.
12. One and Done: Manchester by the Sea joins I, Robot & Fade to Black as the only films to only receive an Outstanding Motion Picture nomination.
13. Paramount and HBO hold the record as the most nominated Distributor (79 nominations) and network (104 nominations)
14. History Channel receives its first Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series nomination for Roots.
15. Distributor A24 earns its first Outstanding Motion Picture nomination with Moonlight
16. Black Girl Magic: Angela Bassett is the only woman to earn a nomination in the either Outstanding Director categories. Bassett is nominated in the Outstanding Director, TV or Limited Series for an episode from American Horror Story: Roanoke.
17. Double the Trouble: Moonlight and Fences join Selma and Dear White People as the only films to earn double-digit nominations in the same year.